10/25/2011

New Age Trophy Wife? Agreed

The essay "Trophy Wife" was based in the changing gender roles in today's marital scene. It's main premise was that men are no longer looking for an eye-candy wife, but that more and more they are looking for an "alpha female". This means they are looking for women who are high-powered, motivated, and successful.

This also takes the burden off men as the sole bread-winner for the family. This is the point I agree with most. Men have always been viewed as the success object, but today's economy, mixed with changing gender roles have changed that, much to my relief. I personally have always been pressured by this thought pattern- I was always told the mark of a man is to be able to take care of an entire family on his own.

I liked this essay because it spoke personally to me, and compared both men and women, older and younger men, and gender roles before and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment